Winter squash has 10 times more vitamin A than summer squash. Winter squash varieties are mostly interchangeable in recipes. Although the many different types of winter squash look quite different on the outside, their flesh is quite similar.
• Winter squash will store at room temperature for at least a month
• Store for several months in a cool (50-55 degrees) and dry location
• 1lb of trimmed raw squash equals 2 cups cooked squash
• Boil or steam 1-2 cubes for 15-20 minutes. You can peel before or after cooking, but let it cool first
• Mash cooked squash with butter
• Add chunks to stews and soups
• Cut in half carefully lengthwise, scoop out the seeds. Place flesh down in a baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-60 minutes depending on size.
• Butternut squash are a good substitute for pumpkins in pie
• Add butter and maple syrup or brown sugar to bake squash
• Cook squash chunks along side roasting meats.
Butternut Squash Recipes
Simple Roasted Butternut Squash
Pasta With Butternut Sauce, Spicy Sausage, and Baby Spinach
Spaghetti Squash Recipes
Chicken Pesto Paleo Spaghetti Squash
Creamy Garlic Spaghetti Squash Casserole