Winter squash has 10 times more vitamin A than summer squash. Winter squash varieties are mostly interchangeable in recipes. Although the many different types of winter squash look quite different on the outside, their flesh is quite similar.
• Winter squash will store at room temperature for at least a month
• Store for several months in a cool (50-55 degrees) and dry location
• 1lb of trimmed raw squash equals 2 cups cooked squash
• Boil or steam 1-2 cubes for 15-20 minutes. You can peel before or after cooking, but let it cool first
• Mash cooked squash with butter
• Add chunks to stews and soups
• Cut in half carefully lengthwise, scoop out the seeds. Place flesh down in a baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-60 minutes depending on size.
• Butternut squash are a good substitute for pumpkins in pie
• Add butter and maple syrup or brown sugar to bake squash
• Cook squash chunks along side roasting meats.
Butternut Squash Recipes
Spaghetti Squash Recipes