Tastiest when fresh and relatively small sized. They dehydrate rapidly. Summer squash is easily digested, nourishing and cooling, perfect for July and August. They are also a good source of vitamins and calcium.
• Summer squash dehydrates quickly. Store in the hydrator drawer of your fridge for a few days.
• Try raw summer squash cut into stick with your favorite dip or in salads.
• Cut into chunks add to summer soups and pasta sauce.
• Grill thick slices for 3-4 minutes over hot coals, then s-8 minutes on the side of the grill. Baste with marinade.
• Sauté onions in butter or oil, add summer squash and sugar snap peas. Then top with parmesan cheese and serve over pasta.
• Stuff patty pan squash with buttered fresh breadcrumbs sautéed with garlic and fresh herbs. Heat through and serve.
• To remove excess water and prevent soggy, cooked dishes: Lightly salt the grated or
thinly sliced squash. Place in a colander and let stand for 30 minutes. Some water
will exude during the resting period. Much more will come out when squeezed or patted with paper towels. If you wish, rinse to remove the salt.
Yellow Squash Recipes
Yellow Squash Casserole
Yellow Squash Patties
Bev’s Sauteed Yellow Squash
Baked Zucchini Fries