An unusual, medium-sharp flavored green widely grown in Italy. It has edible stems, green leaves, and small broccoli-like buds that open up to yellow flowers. We usually harvest the leaves when they are young & tender before the plant forms the buds.
• Spin dry or pat dry greens and place in a plastic bag and refrigerate
• Greens will hold their flavor for up to a week
• Rinse leaves and pat dry
• Remove greens from the larger stems and chop
• Chop stems, some people like to pound the stems to make them tenderer
• 2-3 inch pieces take about 5 minutes to s team
• Sauté chopped garlic in olive oil for a few minutes and then add the chopped stems and continue to sauté for a few more minutes. Then add the chopped greens and a few tablespoons of water and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes until greens turn dark green and tender but not mushy.
• Mixed steamed or braised broccoli rabe with pasta and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.